Drake had his two year well check today. I was a little apprehensive because his last visit to the Doctor did not go so well. Just getting his height and weight checked was traumatizing to him for some reason. I decided to try a Pediatrician instead of our regular family doctor for this check up. The whole experience was wonderful, he was not scared of his doctor (she was awesome, she took it slow and explained everything to him so he was okay with it). I think it helped that I promised to take him to the basketball park after the appointment. So it was all going great....until the very end of the appointment. The nurse came into to do a finger prick for an iron deficiency test. Drake did fine with the finger prick, but then he FREAKED OUT when the nurse put the cotton ball and band-aid on his finger. The second she left the room he ripped that band-aid right off. His finger began to bleed EVERYWHERE and he was throwing a tantrum on top of bleeding all over my shirt and his own. Ohh grief! I thought I had made it through this appointment without any collateral damage, but boy was I wrong! I managed to gather all of our things and contain my screaming child, I do not however contain his screams or the blood. So we left the doctors office in a very disruptive and bloody manner. Once we got to the car I was able to convince Drake to hold a wet wipe on his finger and eventually the blood stopped. I am so very happy that we won't have another check up until he turns three! (I realize that it is very likely that we will have to take another trip to the doctor for illness or some other unforseen circumstances before then, but I am just going to cross my fingers that this isn't the case).
Drake's Stats:
Height 35 inches (75%)
Weight 27.2 lbs. (50%).

Oh Callie, you make me feel so much better about my trips to the doctor, I've had a few screaming bloody visits as well!
ReplyDeleteCallie! This is Natalie Mqomboti...do you remember me? We ran across your blog because Mo is receiving the Newell K. Whitney award this semester, and he googled it to see if we could see images, and POOF...your post for Jordan's Award came up! We had the same thought; that it was an April Fools joke!
ReplyDeleteYou have a cute family! Your son looks like a good mix of both of you! Feel free to check out our blog. Think about you often...